Mira Road is a town is in Maharashtra, India, part of the Mumbai Metropolitan Region. It is located to the north of Mumbai and is governed by the Mira-Bhayandar Municipal Corporation (MBMC). It is also a railway station on the Western Line of Mumbai Suburban Railway.
Mira Road is situated on the island of Salcette. To its north is the Vasai creek; to the south lies the city of Mumbai. The Sanjay Gandhi National Park is to its east and the coast of Uttan to the West.Mira Road is located north west of Mumbai, just north of Dahisar. By road it is connected to Mumbai by the Western Express Highway and to Thane by Ghodbunder Road. The Western Express Highway, as termed in Mumbai leaves the city as the NH 8 (National Highway) linking Mumbai with the west and north west of India.The Ghodbunder Road Highway has a direct access to Mira Road from thane NH4.Kashimira is a point falling between Dahisar Check Naka and Ghodbunder, from which a main road connects that leads to Mira Road, Bhayandar & the coastal areas of Uttan, Gorai, Manori & the famed Amusement Parks - Esselworld & Water Kingdom.
The town enjoys a supply of electricity from Reliance Energy and now days people have option of TATA Energy as well, telephone services from MTNL, piped gas from Mahanagar Gas, and bus services by BEST, TMT, NMMT, ST & MBMT. Buses regularly ply from Mira Road to Thane, Santa cruz, Sion, SEEPZ and Dindoshi, express buses from Mira Road run up to Mahim, Rani Laxmibai Chowk and Mulund Depot. AC buses also run up to the Nehru Planetarium (Worli) via the Bandra-Worli sea link and up to Santa cruz. TMT travels to Thane;ST runs up to Thane & Bhiwandi, NMMT till Vashi while MBMT aims at reducing the overhead on BEST for diffusing local traffic towards Borivali.
Mira Road is a rapidly developing town. Malls and super markets have populated the town and its vicinity in the decade 2000-2010.
Population and Demographics
According to the census of 2006, Mira-Bhayandar had a population of 7.28 Lakhs. The 2001 census says that males constitute 55% of the population and females 45%. Mira-Bhayandar has an average literacy rate of 78%, higher than the national average of 64.84%. Literacy among males is 81%, and among the female population it is 74%. 13% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Mira road has many connectivity modes. The Railway, the buses, the auto rickshaws and the taxis.
Malls and Supermarkets
- Hare Ramah Hare Krishna temple of the ISKCON group, in Shristi has large number of devotees visiting this place which also includes devotees of foreign countries. This is a prominent landmark of the area and the temple also organizes many religious and cultural programs.
- Jangid Temple is dedicated to Maa Durga, Shri Sai Baba and other deities. It is among the largest Hindu Temples of Mira Road.
- There is also Shri Sai Baba Mandir near Silver Park, Ganesh Mandir in Sheetal Nagar, Sri Swaminarayan Mandir, Sector 10. Small Ganesh idols are immersed at the time of Ganesh Chaturthi at Shivar Garden.
- Shanti Nagar, Jain Mandir.
- Gurudwara, Sri Guru Nanak Darbar, in Shanti Nagar.
- There are several Masjids (mosques) like the Shams Mosque, Aziziya Mosque, Ahle Hadith Mosque in Naya Nagar.
- The Saint Joseph's Church aka Krista Shanti Dham stands as the largest parish in the Archdiocese of Bombay with more than 22,000 Catholics.
- Thakur Mall (with Fame Cinema, Globus, Star Bazar, Croma)
- Cine Max
- Rassaz Mall and Multiplex
- Reliance Fresh
- Big Bazaar
- Asmita Supermarket
- Vijay Sales
- Maxus Mall & Multiplex (Bhayander West)
- Designo (Godrej Furniture)
- Croma [Bhayander west]
- KITE School (Kids' Innovative Threshold Education) Poonam Sagar Complex
- Eurokids, Shanti Park
- Kidzee, Poonam Sagar Complex
- Blossoms, Eden Rose, Beverly Park
- Iqra International School, Naya Nagar
- St. Andrews Convent English High School, Sai-Baba Nager
- Shanti Nagar High School, Shantinagar Sector 2
- Seven Square Academy, Mira-Bhayandar X Road
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Vidyalaya
- Don Bosco High School
- Holy Cross Convent School
- Holy Family Day School
- N.L. Dalmia High School
- St. Xavier's High School
- R.B.K. School
- Royal's H.A. Girls High School
- St. Paul's High School, Nityanand Nagar
- St. Mary's High School, Miragaon, Mira Road.
- N.H English Academy, Naya Nagar, Near Umrao Hospital
- St. Joseph High School, Shanti Park
- Gracious High School, Poonam Sagar Complex
- St Harris, Naya Nagar
- Don Bosco High School, Silver Park
- Our Lady Of Nazareth High School & Jr. College
- Banegar High School
- Anjuman Mufidul Yatama
- The Don Bosco High School. Pleasant Park
- Sant Home Public School
- Pravinkumar G. Vora English High School, Shanti Vihar
- Royal College of Arts, Science & Commerce
- N. L. Dalmia Institute of Management Studies and Research
- Asmita College of Architecture
- Gurukul College
- Shree L.R. Tiwari College of Engineering